Voice over internet protocol (VoIP) is the future of business communications. A VoIP phone, or IP phone, relies on VoIP technology to send calls as a digital signal over the internet, rather than a physical phone line. It provides the connectivity, agility, and mobility that modern companies need. That’s why so many of them are ditching traditional landlines in favour of a VoIP phone system.
While you could choose a softphone that can be installed on a device to make telephone calls over the internet, having dedicated hardware for your VoIP phone comes with many benefits. There are a lot of VoIP desk and office phone options out there. They offer traditional phone services, as well as a variety of additional features. Some will be perfect for certain businesses and not quite right for others. We’ve put together this list of the best VoIP phones of 2020 to ensure you get the right ones for you.
What to Look For in VoIP Home and Business Phones
Before we get to our 10 best VoIP phones, it’s important to discuss how to evaluate the different options. A VoIP phone system allows you to use a standard desk phone to make calls via your internet connection. Some VoIP systems rely on ethernet connections, but many will work with Wi-Fi too.
That means that VoIP phones can do things traditional landlines can’t, like video conferencing or advanced call handling. As such, your choice of VoIP phones for your business is critical. When assessing the alternatives, there are a few critical criteria to look out for:
- Price – Is the model of phone something that fits within your business’s budget? There’s no benefit in splashing out on a top-of-the-range desk phone that you can’t afford, especially if you only need the basic functionality of VoIP calls. When comparing prices of the best VoIP telephones, you should be thinking of value, not cost. Keep the following criteria in mind when deciding if a price represents value for money.
- Audio Quality & Reliability – It’s not just your internet connection that can affect call quality. A phone designed with audio clarity and quality in mind can make a real difference. Ideally, you want your chosen model to offer HD voice quality. You also need it to maintain that quality indefinitely.
- Connectivity –VoIP is all about improved connectivity. That’s also a key factor when choosing a VoIP phone for your workplace. Phones which offer Wi-Fi connectivity are really handy – especially if you’re looking at cordless phones. They don’t require you to connect them up to your router via Ethernet. Models with built-in Bluetooth are great, too. They let your staff use hands-free headsets instead of handsets, giving them all the benefits of a mobile device.
- Features – The best VoIP phones offer much more to a company than a traditional desk phone. You should be able to route, block, and hold conference calls with ease with your chosen model. What’s more, video compatibility is also a definite bonus. Current internet connections make video conferencing more reliable a tool than ever before.
- VoIP Service Compatibility – Most modern VoIP phones are compatible with all VoIP software. It’s still worth keeping in mind, however, that some VoIP providers or services do require certain models of phone.
They’re the main things to keep in mind when choosing a VoIP phone for your business. They’re also the major criteria we used when drawing up our list of the ten best VoIP phones on the market. Below you’ll find a brief guide to each of them, pointing out why they might be exactly the model you’re looking for.
A Review of the 10 Best IP Phones on the Market
There’s no one model of VoIP phone which will be the right choice for every business. Different firms have different priorities for their phone systems, with some prioritising desk phones and others wanting something more similar to smartphones. They all need varying things from their office phones.
The following 10 options are the top VoIP phone models currently on the market. Choose one of them for your workplace or home office, and you can be sure you’re getting one of the best VoIP phones around.
- Polycom VVX 601
- Yealink T49G
- Grandstream GXP 2170
- Yealink SIP-T19P
- Polycom VVX 301
- Yealink SIP-T21P
- Grandstream GXV 3275
- Cisco 7900 IP Series
- Vtech VSP736
- Cisco SPA 303
So now that you have seen the phones, let’s review the 10 best VoIP phones.
Polycom VVX 601
The Polycom VVX 601 is a premium VoIP phone option. The model gives any business which uses it all the features and functions they could need. The phone allows for up to 16 line appearances or speed dials and has an impressive 4.3” touchscreen.
You get HD voice quality as standard. The phone has Bluetooth, video playback, and conferencing via an external USB camera. Hard keys nicely complement the impressive touchscreen.
- 4.3” colour touchscreen
- HD voice quality
- Video playback and conferencing supported
- Bluetooth connectivity
If you’re looking for the best VoIP phone, whatever the price, the Yealink T49G may well be the model for you. This high-end alternative packs in every conceivable feature and function, including both HD voice and video.
Video conferencing with this phone is a joy. The 8” screen has an impressive resolution of 1080 x 800 pixels. What’s more, an HDMI output lets you project video calls onto an external display, making it a great conference phone. The phone can support 16 phone lines, and has pretty much every feature you’ll find from the other models on our list.
- HD voice and video
- 8” 1080 x 800 pixel resolution colour screen
- 16 lines
- Huge range of features and functions
Grandstream GXP 2170
Grandstream describes the GXP 2170 as their ‘most powerful High-End IP Phone’. The model is great for any small business that deals with significant call volumes or multiple phone numbers. It supports 12 lines, has HD audio quality, and Bluetooth connectivity.
A 4.3” colour LCD and 44 programmable soft keys make it possible to customise the unit to suit any system. That’s all from a phone which is competitively priced compared to some of the other VoIP phones on this list.
- 4.3” LCD display and 44 programmable softkeys
- HD voice quality
- Integrated Bluetooth
If the price is a primary motivation, then the Yealink SIP-T19P is probably the phone for you. The SIP-T19P only has one line, so it isn’t suitable for a business that gets a high number of calls or with a complicated PBX telephone system. Some of the phone features include a sharp 2.3” black and white display and it can support headsets if needed. It also offers three-way conferencing, SMS, and call hold, meaning it still has much more functionality than a traditional landline.
The Yealink SIP-T19P is an entry-level VoIP phone. When comparing the price to features, it is the best budget VoIP phone on this list.
- The affordable, entry-level phone
- Five lines black and white LCD display
- Three-way conferencing
- Call hold, SMS and anonymous calling
Polycom VVX 301
One of the lowest priced VoIP phones with HD voice, the Polycom VVX 301 is great if you’re looking for value for money. As well as its HD audio, the phone boasts six lines and all the basic call functions of a modern phone.
The unit’s 12 hard keys broadly control those functions, but there is also a small backlit display. The VVX 301 doesn’t allow for video calling or Bluetooth connectivity, meaning staff may need to supplement it with laptops or mobile phones. It is, however, a reliable entry-level option for small business.
- HD voice
- Six lines or speed dial keys
- Backlit 208 x 104-pixel display
Another entry-level VoIP phone, the Yealink SIP-T21P is a step up from the T19P mentioned above. This model offers excellent functionality, especially when you consider its relatively low price point.
The phone accommodates two VoIP accounts and boasts PoE technology. That means there’s no need to connect an additional power supply. The phone also supports HD voice.
- Supports two VoIP accounts
- HD voice characteristics
- PoE technology
- 132 x 64 pixel display
You only have to look at the Grandstream GXV3275 to see that it’s a modern IP phone. An Android-based system, the phone can access Android apps on top of the inbuilt functionality.
The GVX3275 has a 7” touchscreen and a one-megapixel camera, which makes it ideal for real-time video conferencing. It also offers six lines for up to six SIP accounts and integrated Bluetooth. HD wideband audio makes this suitable for anyone looking for a VoIP phone with video conferencing and voice functionality.
- 7” colour touchscreen
- 1-megapixel camera
- Six SIP accounts
- HD wideband audio
Cisco 7900 IP Series
Convenience and user-friendliness are the prime characteristics of the Cisco 7900 IP Series. All VoIP phones within the series offer voice and data integrated communication. Staff can leave a voicemail, for instance, that another employee can access through their computer.
The four phones within the series also boast a range of traditional phone features. They include either colour or black and white displays, as well as dynamic soft keys for programmable call handling functions.
- Integrated voice and data
- High fidelity wideband audio quality
- Dynamic softkeys
- Wireless connectivity with some models
The Vtech VSP736 is an excellent mid-range VoIP phone for firms who want a reliable phone at a reasonable price. The VSP736 supports six SIP lines and boasts three-way conferencing functionality. Another notable innovation is the ability to record calls onto a micro SD card. The model’s sizeable screen and many hard keys also make advanced call handling possible.
- HD call quality
- Six SIP lines
- Wireless connectivity
- Call recording on micro SD card
Cisco SPA 303
The Cisco SPA 303 is the final entry on our list of the best VoIP phones. It’s available for a fraction of the cost of some models listed here. That makes it ideal for small businesses who need something cheap but reliable.
Despite its low price point, the SPA 303 supports three phone lines. It also has all the necessary call handling features you might need. Features include caller ID, hold, and conferencing alternatives. The phone doesn’t offer a great deal else, but plenty of businesses don’t need anything more from their VoIP service and hardware.
- Three SIP lines
- Caller ID, call hold and conferencing
Set Up a VoIP Phone with Help from RingCentral
RingCentral has you covered when it comes to VoIP software solutions. Whether you work for a small business or global company, we can provide you with the cloud communications system you need to succeed. To ensure it works to its full potential, you need to choose the best VoIP phones for your workplace.